Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Teaching Support for Dysle...
Trinity College - St George International, London
Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages
University of Bucharest
Related Links: Citizenship Studies Lessons, Creative Writing Lessons, Drama Tutors, GCSE Drama Tutors, EFL Lessons, Eleven Plus Lessons, English Tutors, Adult Learner English Tutors, Primary English Tutors, KS3 English Tutors, GCSE English Tutors, A-Level English Tutors, IELTS Tutors, Journalism Lessons, Maths Tutors, Primary Maths Tutors, KS3 Maths Tutors, Media Tutors, GCSE Media Tutors, Romanian Lessons, Special Needs Lessons
Information about Serban
Lets face it most of us have already experienced at least one moment of revelation that classroom teaching is not the answer to all questions. Moreover, it is not unusual for classrooms to create more problems that they solve. And while asking the right question is said to trump having the right answer, it is obvious that the current system of education is fuelled by an answer-hungry engine of exams and assessments.
To mediate between need and demand, between true learning and exam preparation, I focus on English at all levels and can offer the following:
- Key stage 1 and 2 English grammar, vocabulary, reading, booster sessions, early preparation for 11+ and other intermediate exams
- 11+ preparation (common entrance, independent school)
- Key stage 3 English booster or extra English, depending on level, from basic grammar and vocabulary to literature and classics, all tailored to the learners need; early GCSE preparation if needed
- Key stage 4 English GCSE preparation, advice on further studies, A Level, etc
- A Level English exam prep, university admission and application advice
- Dyslexia & Literacy all levels; this follows a 10-30 reviewable lesson plan, highly individualised based on learners needs and level, and following a placement session of approx 2.5 hours.
- Dyslexia & Literacy focus for GCSE and other exam preparation study skills, metalanguage, mnemonics, subject-specific terminology and strategies, working and long-term memory exercises.
- English as a Foreign Language for learners of all ages, personalised according to level and need
- English as a Foreign Language specialised EFL teaching for students already in education at any level, according to need, combining national curriculum with elements of English grammar, vocabulary, idiomatic language and other specifics of EFL.
- General advice regarding special needs and intervention, programmes, EHCP applications, and much more.
Availability: To be discussed via Tutor Hunt portal; I have most evenings and weekend day booked, however there are always a few slots available.
I am happy to work with schools and students in a school setting, particularly for dyslexia and literacy specialist tuition. Should there be more than one student/school, discounts to my hourly rate may apply.
Willing to travel: 3 miles
Experience: I am a full-time tutor with 5+ years experience working with learners ages 6-76. Having started as a teaching assistant in primary and later on, secondary education, I worked briefly as a classroom teacher and more extensively 1:1 and with small groups focusing on English as a Foreign Language, personalised exam preparation and specialist intervention for students with low literacy and other special needs. Privately, I have been working across the range, with low and high attaining students, including 11+ and independent school exam preparation for schools in Surrey and SW London. My GCSE English students have mostly obtained grades 7 and up (A-A*).
I currently hold two specialist teaching qualifications at Level 5 a Trinity College TESOL Certificate and a Dyslexia and Literacy Specialist Practitioner Diploma with Dyslexia Action. My Degree is in Journalism and my Masters in Playwriting. I am also a part-time author, having most recently published a childrens picture book. As a hobby, I also teach Romanian when the opportunity arises.
I believe it is important for educators to experience a range of professions before engaging in teaching. How else would we gauge the opportunities and demands of life beyond education, so important to our students nowadays? Moreover, I thoroughly enjoy bringing my experience as a journalist, bilingual author and actor to the teaching profession. Aside from preparing a young person for life, the prime directive of education should be to provide the tools for personal development and, if not too big a word, happiness. This is what I strive to do every day, for every learner.
DBS (CRB) Check: YesContact this Tutor
Feedback For Serban (4)
Serban has only recently started tutoring our son but we are already seeing great results. His teaching is interesting and engaging.
Excellent tutor. I am learning conversational Romanian and he is devising his lessons both to what I need and to how I learn. His approach is very encouraging, with plenty of praise but also lots of repetition. Highly recommended
He is an excellent tutor. Very patient with my son. He teach my son IGCSE Eng Lit and my son got A*
Serban has been my daughter`s tutor for 2 years Maths and English. Has been wonderful and very patient. She has improved and has gained so much confidence since she has been tutored. He makes lessons fun and interesting. Thank you for all your time.