I provide 1 on 1 tutoring in your own home, tailored to the student`s needs and the syllabus. I believe very much in getting a firm understanding of the basics of the subject, as a lack of solid foundations is the reason why many students struggle.
If you want to work with somebody who knows these academic subjects inside-out, who really cares about you getting the results you need, and who will go the extra mile to help you (or your child) succeed, then please get in touch.
I always aim to make the material as interesting as possible for students, which not only helps them focus, but also helps with understanding. For example, when teaching maths concepts, I try to use examples that are relevant to the student`s other interests.
I like to help students work methodically and step-by-step through questions/problems until they are able to easily solve themselves without help. In maths and verbal reasoning for example, I teach simple repeatable processes that students can master to get the right answers (and to show their working so as to get partial credit even if they make a mistake).
I am a Cambridge graduate (from St Catherine`s College, Cambridge). My degree was in Natural Sciences, which includes a range of science subjects: I personally studied Physics, Chemistry, Crystalline Materials, Maths, and Experimental Psychology.
During and immediately after my degree, I did some voluntary teaching work in a secondary school, and also interviewed hundreds of primary school students to collect data for a developmental psychology research study.
After leaving university, I have worked in the world of business, in particular in areas relating to computer software (I have programming and software development skills), most recently educational software.
I also have experience helping out in a Pitman Training Centre, where I supervised students who were taking Pitman courses in IT subjects such as using a PC, using the Internet & email, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office.
In late 2011, I became a parent when my son was born. In 2012, I also intensively tutored an 11-year old boy (principally in maths and verbal reasoning) to take the entrance exams for 2 private schools in his area. He passed both with flying colours - he was one of only a handful of students (out of 200 candidates) to be offered a place.
I am also the author of several maths books (available on Amazon and elsewhere) including on Kindle and in paperback.
I currently work in developing and marketing computer software, principally software related to education.
Notes: I work flexible hours, so provided we arrange lessons in advance, I can usually adapt my schedule to suit your requirements.
Availability: I work flexible hours so, provided we arrange lessons in advance, I can usually adapt my work schedule to fit your requirements, including evenings, weekends, and weekdays.
Willing to travel: 20 miles
Experience: Tutoring experience:Contact this Tutor
I am the author of several maths books (available on Amazon and elsewhere) including on Kindle and in paperback.
Tutored GCSE & A-Level students during 2014 for Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Students achieved good grades (A*, A, B in GCSE maths), and an A* (including 100% in one exam!) in Chemistry.
- Tutored 4 GCSE Maths Students for exams 2013 (Grades achieved by students = A-star, A, A, B - the B was up from a D in mock prior to my tutoring)
- Tutored 3 GCSE Physics Students in 2013 (Grades achieved by students = A, A, B - the B was up from a U in the mock prior to my tutoring)
- Tutored 4 GCSE Chemistry Students in 2013 (Grades achieved by students, A-star, A, B, C - the B was up from an E in the mock prior to my tutoring, and the C up from a D in the mock prior to my tutoring)
- Tutored 1 student for OCR Computing coursework in 2013 (student achieved Distinction in all 3 sub-topics)
- Tutored an 11-year old boy (principally in maths and verbal reasoning) in 2011 to take the entrance exams for 2 private schools in his area. He passed both with flying colours.
- Other students currently under tuition include: Students for 2014 GCSE, 2014 A-Levels/AS-Levels, 11+/SATS, and Army Officer Numerical Reasoning Exam.
Other relevant experience:
- Voluntary teaching work in secondary school & interviewed hundreds of primary school students as part of a developmental psychology study.
- Supervised students in IT subjects in a Pitman Training Centre.
- Developed and marketed educational software.
- Training other people in business / software.