Passionate about teaching and learning, focused on people and progress.
- Literacy, Numeracy and Languages to Key Stage 2
- English Language to GCSE and `A` level
- English Literature to GCSE and `A` level
- French to GCSE
- Literacy Skills
- Essay Writing
- Creative Writing
- Writing for a target audience
15+ years of teaching experience in secondary schools: teaching to GCSE and `A` level. 10 years experience in communications for business. Languages: French and Italian. Knowledge: Creative Writing, Drama and Theatre.
Communication is a key aspect to all of these, it`s my strength, and includes the ability to understand someone quickly - where they`re coming from, and where they`d like to be and get to work.
Committed to Higher Achievement.
A Home Tutor is different to a School Teacher. The Tutor is there to advise and support you, and no-one else.
I think of the role as a mixture of supporter, coach, advisor and counsellor. The focus is on building confidence confidence in the self and skills that are already there, and confidence to build new skills.
Confidence is Everything.
A Home Tutor:
- is a supporter: finds the best in the student and becomes their biggest fan
- if the student stumbles, the supportive Tutor is there to help them up
- works to understand the student, shows them that they are heard and understood
- is always positive, always showing positive regard for the student
- in being positive about the student, makes them feel positive about themselves
- knows that all Children have Potential
- works to help people realise their potential
Coaches help kids develop skills, but kids play the game, (Markham, 2015). A good coach works with the skill set in front of them, models additional skills and empowers the student to work them into their own game.
- Take the stress out of making sure youve got the right tutor by taking
advantage of free first meeting and free first teaching session
- Sessions take place in your home in a public area of the house (eg. dining room
- A parent is always present I encourage parents to be either in the room, or
to wander in and out
- I try to create time for feedback and encourage keeping in touch between
sessions, when resources for the student are sometimes emailed to the parent
- Im the coach, but youre the managers and I encourage you to help set the
- Yes, we can help with homework!
- Fees are: KS2 £20 KS3 £25 A level/Adult £30.
- Longer travel time or distance may incur an extra charge, but I will discuss
this at the time of booking
- Payment: cash, bank transfer or PayPal
- Sessions are paid for on the evening that they take place
- Once a slot is booked, we try to keep to the same day/time each week
- There is no minimum number of sessions. You can book blocks of lessons in
advance just ask!
Availability: weekdays and weeknights, Saturdays and venue by negotiation
Willing to travel: 10 miles
Experience: 15+ years as a Secondary School teacher, 10 of those also in adult and community education
We have a total of
review(s) for Jools.
Extremely pleased with Jools. He helped my son a great deal with English Language/Literature.He was patient, understanding , caring and gave my son (who has mild to moderate ADHD) the belief that he could pass this GCSE. My son passed and this is all thanks to Jools and not the school. Fantastic tutor.
Very good tutor! He knows exactly what he`s talking about, you learn a lot and the sessions are good fun!
I would definitely recommend Jules.
My grandson has only been taught by Jools since just before Christmas and he has been very pleased with him and enjoys his company whilst he is being taught by Jools
Excellent tutor. It`s really great to have such a nice tutor like Jools for learning French and I enjoyed the lessons very much.
Jools has been working with my son for about a month. He quickly established a professional and respectful working relationship with us all and I have every confidence that he will help my son achieve the GCSE English grades we feel he is capable of.
I have no hesitation in recommending Jools as a tutor!
Jools has been tutoring my son since April 2016 helping him with his GCSE English. It is now September 2016 and my son is now going into Year 11. He has given him more confidence and has made English not so boring, as my son puts it. Jools is a very approachable person and certainly knows how to get the best out of a student. He has my full recommendation as a tutor.
Great interesting teacher.
Explain things well
Very good Tutor
I would highly recommend.
Mr Jools has been an amazing tutor for our son. In just a few weeks his English grade has been pushed up from an E to a C. Mr Jools is a very positive tutor and is very much led by the student with input from parents too. I cannot rate this tutor highly enough and would recommend him to anybody looking for a happy and positive teacher for their child.
From the very first lesson with Jools, my daughter felt happy and relaxed which meant she could then learn. Jools has a very calm but firm manner and really listened to what my daughter said to him. as well as picking up on her strengths and weaknesses during the lessons. This meant he had a good understanding of how to support her and build her confidence up in a way that suited her style of learning. It is a lesson that is looked forward to and enjoyed very much. One hour a week consistently with an inspired, supportive tutor makes a huge difference to a child`s confidence at school as well as in their ability to make sense of an exam paper. My daughter is already noticing the benefits of her lessons with Jools within her school English lessons and I hope that she would be able to continue with Jools through to sixth form.
Very helpfull and our son feels he is really improving.
Jools is an excellent tutor who can`t do enough to help. He tailors sessions to the needs, requests and requirements of our son, who says lessons are interesting and lively. He replies very quickly to requests for help outside of lesson time. Thank you very much.