Institute of Education, University of London
King`s College London (University of London)
English Language and Literature
Related Links: Creative Writing Lessons, Eleven Plus Lessons, English Tutors, Primary English Tutors, KS3 English Tutors, GCSE English Tutors, A-Level English Tutors, Degree English Tutors, Entrance Exams Lessons, Extended Project Qualification Lessons, Personal Statements Lessons, SAT Lessons, Seven Plus Lessons
Information about Serena
- 11+ tutees received offers for Trinity, Whitgift and Royal Russell
- 100% pass rate for previous Year 11 class (average grade went from 2.6 in September 2020 to 7.3 in August 2021)
- 6 students received a Level 9 in Literature and 7 students received a Level 9 in Language (after receiving Levels 2-3 in September 2020 when I first started teaching them. 1 student received an offer from Oxford in January 2023)
- A-Level tutees increased by at least one grade (one student went from B to A, one student C to A, one E to C, and one went from E to A*!)
Experienced English teacher, rated Outstanding. Graduated from King`s College London and UCL.
As a current Deputy Head of English in an Outstanding inner London state school, I focus on planning high quality lessons and resources for the whole department. It is important to me that my lessons are engaging, and my teaching practice is supportive, research-informed and of course flexible, to meet the needs of every learner.
Therefore, every pupil I tutor makes progress and gets results!
As a pupil you can expect:
- fun in-session and post-session tasks
- lots of tips and tricks to help you progress
- a supportive but challenging atmosphere
As a parent you can expect:
- weekly feedback
- sessions completely personalised for your child with their targets in mind
- regular homework (tasks can vary from vocabulary quizzes and independent work to research and presentation tasks depending on the needs of the pupil).
- high-quality sessions based on research-informed pedagogy and vast subject knowledge
- fully qualified, experienced teacher, DBS checked, trained in safeguarding (so you know your child is well looked after)
I am also a published poet with experience in writing and editing novels, poetry and plays. I am particularly adept at grammar and spelling, but can offer support beyond written expression too, like plot development, character development, structure, narrative voice, world building, and creating suspense.
**Below are the only slots I have left. Please enquire to secure your slot now!**
- Mondays 8pm
- Thursdays 8pm
- Sundays 1pm
- Sundays 2pm
Willing to travel: 8 miles
Experience: 2017-2019 TeachFirst Leadership Development Programme. Also completed a PGDE with the Institute of Education in the same years.
2019-current Deputy Head of English, Head of Year 10 English, Middle Leader and PGCE mentor (I train new teachers). Previously KS3 English Co-Ordinator.
DBS Check: YesContact this Tutor
Feedback For Serena (8)
Serena is a very friendly and well-behaved tutor. Polite and knowledgeable, she has a great command of her subject. He received some very helpful tips on how to improve his writing skills, which he will incorporate into his education.
Serena provided thought-out session plans and exercises tailored for my son and his development. He enjoyed his sessions with her which made writing approachable and less daunting. And because of this, he was able to learn writing strategies that empowered him to write with more ease, as opposed to feeling stuck. She asks insightful questions, encouraging the student to self-evaluate their own strengths and struggle points so that she can better support them.
Serena is a brilliant and very skilled tutor. She helped my son prepare for his 11+ English exam. The lessons really made a difference for his creative writing skills as well as comprehension and vocabulary. We got offers from our preferred schools. I`m really grateful to Serena for her help she was instrumental in my son`s success.
Tutors Response :
Dear Natalie, I am over the moon to hear Andre did well in his 11+ tests! He worked very hard and has a bright future ahead of him. I wish both of you all the best!
Serena is a fantastic tutor, the lessons are engaging and interesting. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying the sessions and is conscious about doing her homework now. Huge improvement in such a short space of time. Would highly recommend, delighted with the progress. Thank you Serena.
Serena is fantastic, she has managed to really understand the development my son needs in terms of creative writing and has planned her sessions in a way that enables my son to sustain what he learns and apply his learning in a consistent way.
My son has a lot more confidence in the way he approaches his English tests and exams thanks to Serena.
Serena is an excellent teacher. My daughter(9yrs) has really enjoyed learning with Serena. Her lessons are well structured and organised. She gives regular feedback and revisits the concepts taught in previous sessions to ensure it is well understood and not forgotten. I can see a marked improvement in my daughters writing skills since she started with Serena.
Tutors Response :
Maheeka is a very hardworking pupil who gives all activities 100%. She has made tonnes of progress already and its clear shes enjoying all the work shes doing to practice. She is very warm, polite and curious excellent traits going forward!