Tutor HuntSubjectsBiology Tutors

Alison (Tutor in Hove)

Alison
Alison
Tutor
Hove, Sussex
Home Town: Hove
Member Since: 16/08/2019
Last Login: 4 days ago
Response Rate: 100%
Expected Response: < 2 hours

My Qualifications

BSc
University of Sussex
Biology
2i (Hons)  (2010)

Verification Status

Tutors ID Verified
 Enhanced DBS Verified
How references rated Alison
Professionalism
Reliability
Trustworthy

Rates summary: 20.00 to 30.00 per hour
KS3GCSEAdult LearnerInstructor
Biology£20£30£30-
Chemistry£20£30£30-
Dietary And Nutrition---£25
Physics£20£30£30-

Information about Alison

I am an experienced teacher and tutor, offering online coaching in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Combined Science and Triple Science. I specialise in giving one-to-one tutoring to secondary school children studying at KS3 and for their GCSEs. I obtained a 2:1 (Hons) degree in Biology from the University of Sussex in 2010 as a mature student, while bringing up my daughter.

If your child is missing out on school because of the COVID crisis and needs support to keep learning or to catch up then I am ready to help now. Recent successes include two student obtaining scholarships in private colleges starting Autumn 2020.

I am undertaking courses from the Dyslexia Association to help students with dyslexia.

When I teach, my style is patient, calm and engaging. During the first session with a student, I like to become thoroughly acquainted with their strengths, weaknesses and challenges. I listen closely to what the student is saying - quite often they may feel overwhelmed and lacking in confidence. They may have lost their way in the classroom and feel left behind. Very often they have been afraid to tell their parents that they are struggling. I reassure them that I am a helping hand and not a new pressure.

I also ensure that I know what curriculum they are working to and to what level. I tailor my tutorials to the needs of the student but endeavour to keep pace with the curriculum so that all content is covered prior to their exams. If the student starts learning with me at the beginning of the school year each topic will be covered in step with what is being taught at school. If a student starts learning with me towards the end of the course, the lessons will be more intensive to ensure that all the material is covered.

I use excellent revision books and past exam papers and ensure that they are relevant to the exam board chosen by the school.

I usually find that even after the first session students are beaming with new-found confidence and hope. Many times they have said that I make science really interesting for them. Invariably they say that the lessons seem to fly by.

I have been tutoring successfully online since the start of the Covid19 pandemic. For me, it has been a very natural transition.

Availability: Weekdays - 3 - 9 pm, Weekends: Saturday (4 - 6 pm), Sunday - 4 pm - 9 pm

Willing to travel: 5 miles

Experience: In the classroom, I have taught mainly young adult students aged 19+ on Access to Science courses which prepare them for the rigours of studying for a degree at university. 95% of my students gained distinctions in the modules I taught and in the student projects I supervised. The other 5% obtained merits.

As a tutor, I have successfully helped my younger, secondary school age students boost their grades. One of them has just won two offers of scholarships from prestigious private sixth form colleges, after gaining the highest GCSE mock exam marks in science subjects in her year. Another has also been offered a scholarship. They are both starting Autumn 2020.

I am currently working towards a PGCE qualification.

TESTIMONIALS FROM FORMER STUDENTS

“Alison is very enthusiastic. She always helps and breaks things down when I get stuck. This has been my favourite module - wish it lasted longer!” Kat

“Alison uses fun things like mini-quizzes to recap at the beginning and end of the lesson - it helps me remember things I have done. She is enthusiastic about her work and enjoys teaching us - she deserves a raise!” Dan

“Alison delivered an interesting course and made complex subjects understandable - this leads to being able to tackle the exam with confidence.” Sam
“Lovely, incredibly approachable.” Matt

DBS (CRB) Check: Yes

Contact this Tutor

Availability

 MoTuWeThFrSaSu
Morning
Afternoon
After School
Evening

More Photos (1)

  This user has a total of 1 images, view them all in their Photo Gallery .


Nearby Locations

HenfieldHovePortsladeSouthwickSouthwick Biology TutorsSouthwick Chemistry TutorsSouthwick Physics TutorsHove Biology TutorsHove Chemistry TutorsHove Physics TutorsPortslade Biology TutorsPortslade Chemistry TutorsPortslade Physics TutorsHenfield Biology TutorsHenfield Chemistry TutorsHenfield Physics Tutors