Immerse Yourself In The German Language
Use German TV and Radio to sharpen your instinct on what sounds right
Date : 15/03/2017
I often talk to my students about how helpful it may be to access some German TV programmes online. The idea is that you just immerse yourself in the language and don`t worry about understanding every word or even all of the plot. Sub-consciously you will pick up a feel for what sounds right and wrong and some useful recurring phrases.
You can of course do the same with German radio stations, which you can find online and on Spotify. The advantage with radio is, that you can listen to it while you are working or doing your housework.
So here are some of my top picks for German TV you can watch over the internet:
1. ZDF and ARD are the equivalent of the BBC and will have no adds interrupting their programs. Here you can watch Krimis, soap operas, films, news and kids programmes:
2. Kikaninchen has a vast amount of German kids programmes (including Sesame Street), which might also be good practice for adult beginners:
3. Lindenstrasse is the longest running German soap opera. I think it has been running for 30 years. There is a new 30min episode every Sunday and the plot is easy to follow. But don`t get hooked!
4. Logo is a daily 10 minute news show for children, which will also be good practice or beginners and intermediate learners.
5. Die Sendung mit der Maus is another longstanding German institution and again suitable not just for children.
6. There are also private stations, like RTL and SAT1 that offer free streaming content.
This resource was uploaded by: Stefanie