Information about Tony
Originally I am from Newcastle upon Tyne, but I have lived in Nottingham for twenty. I am a passionate English teacher and I love English literature, reading, Newcastle United and cricket. Most of all I love teaching and education. Im married, I`m a daddy to two-year-old twin girls and live in the West Bridgford area.
English language, English literature and the teaching of these subjects are my passion. I am extremely interested in the pedagogy of teaching and I endeavour to use the latest teaching ideas and methods to enable me to improve my practice and the overall learning experience of my students. In essence, it`s all about the teaching of my students and being the best teacher I can possibly be. Teaching English allows me to assist students and help them reach their true potential. All I want is success for every student I teach. The best day of the year is exam results day and seeing my students happy when they receive their results and see what they have achieved.
Although I cannot guarantee success, I`ll do all it takes to help my students achieve the success of which they crave and need for their future careers.
Currently, I am a lead practitioner in English in a school in Nottingham. I have worked there for five years in a very successful English department. Previously, I was an English teacher and literacy co-ordinator for 13 years in a successful English department in a school in Derbyshire.
During my 20 years as an English teacher I have taught over 35 GCSE English classes and a number of A-level groups. My groups always score highly in their results and I consider myself an expert in assisting students to achieve at least their target grade in GCSE and A-level English.
In addition to this, I used to be an assistant examiner for OCR for the GCSE English Literature drama paper from 2006 to 2012 and I marked on 10 exam series in that time.
Availability: - My sessions will take the form of an interactive lesson something similar to that of which I teach on a daily basis at school.
- Each session will be tailored around the specific English curriculum of your child`s school. I will also provide you with a suggested learning programme to enable you to see the long term goals of my tutoring sessions.
- I am willing to teach individuals, pairs or small groups.
- I am fairly flexible, but evenings from 7pm suit me best.
- I am willing to teach online via Zoom.
Willing to travel: 2 miles
Experience: As stated above, I have 19 years of experience teaching English and I was the Literacy co-ordinator within my old school from 2003-2014. The changes to GCSE English language and English literature in 2015 have seen coursework replaced by 100% examinations and I have assisted my students to successfully tackle the difficulties they have faced.
My six years marking exams for OCR have helped me guide my students to reach their potential.
I have also tutored several students in Nottingham since June 2009 and this has resulted in me having an excellent working knowledge of the WJEC, OCR and AQA GCSE English language and English literature syllabi.
Finally, I own a huge library of English study guides which are available for any of my future tutees to borrow.
Some of the texts I have taught during my years as a teacher include:
- `Macbeth`, `Much Ado About Nothing`, `The Taming of the Shrew`, `Othello`, `Romeo and Juliet` and `The Merchant of Venice` by William Shakespeare
- `A Christmas Carol`
- `Animal Farm`
- `Lord of the Flies`
- `Love and Relationships` AQA Poetry Anthology
- `A View From the Bridge` and `Death of a Salesman` by Arthur Miller
- `The Withered Arm and other Wessex Tales` and the poetry of Thomas Hardy
- `Up the Line to Death` poetry anthology
- `Journey`s End` by RC Sherriff
- `Collected Poems` by Wilfred Owen
- `An Inspector Calls` by JR Priestley