Hi! I`m Lauren, a University of Manchester graduate recently returned to the UK after teaching English as a second language in Tokyo, Japan (2016-2019)
In the past, I`ve worked as a private English tutor to primary aged children in the Manchester area, and I also planned and lead sessions in both primary and secondary schools with the Tutor Trust for two years.
I am happy to work with students from KS1 - KS4, and am currently available to provide sessions in person in your home, or online via Skype.
Tutoring is something that`s very important to me, as I love to help others learn and feel that a little extra help can sometimes be the difference between your child achieving their potential or not!
Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon! :)
Willing to travel: 8 miles
Experience: 2016-2019 Assistant Language Teacher, Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme:Contact this Tutor
· Facilitated communicative English language sessions in Tokyo private high school both as teaching assistant and lead teacher
· Created original resources and activities for classroom use, tailored to student interests, needs and ability levels
· Acted as a cultural ambassador in the wider school community, building relationships with students and staff
· Worked on a one-to-one basis with aspirational learners to prepare them to study abroad
· Actively participated in school life, supporting students at annual events such as the cultural and sports festivals
· Taught students between the ages of 3-18
2016-2019 Head Editor/Director of Online Publications AJET Connect Magazine:
· Progressed from Events Section Editor through Assistant Head Editor to Head Editor
· Oversaw a large creative team of volunteers based across Japan in the production and promotion of National AJETs monthly publication
· Interviewed and hired the 2018-2019 AJET Connect Magazine team
· Acted as final point of review and quality assurance for all article submissions
· Ensured smooth running of the team and timely publication of the monthly issue
· Maintained a supportive and friendly working culture
· Put in place procedures in anticipation of sickness, family emergencies, etc.
· Communicated effectively both within the Connect team and the Executive team at National AJET
2016-Present E-Tutor School of Leadership, Afghanistan (SOLA):
· Mentored students on an individual and paired basis catering to a broad range of target areas and ability levels
· Researched, prepared and delivered weekly online tuition sessions to reinforce SOLAs existing English programme and prepare students for life in the United States or the United Kingdom
· Developed supportive and empowering relationships with vulnerable learners, responding flexibly and rescheduling should local incidents affect tuition
· Assisted with applications for UK/US universities and scholarships
2014-2016 Primary and Secondary English Tutor Tutor Trust:
· Worked to further the Tutor Trusts aim of narrowing the attainment gap for students from disadvantaged backgrounds
· Planned and delivered face-to-face English sessions for learners with a diverse range of needs
· Forged strong and supportive relationships, allowing students to meet their full academic and personal potential
· Worked with looked after and otherwise vulnerable children, finding creative approaches to facilitate learning and foster students confidence
· Managed a busy schedule of school, college and home placements