Lauren (Tutor in Sheffield)
The University of Manchester
English Literature with Creative Wr...
1st Class (2016)
Information about Lauren
Hi! I`m Lauren, a University of Manchester graduate recently returned to the UK after teaching English as a second language in Tokyo, Japan (2016-2019)
In the past, I`ve worked as a private English tutor to primary aged children in the Manchester area, and I also planned and lead sessions in both primary and secondary schools with the Tutor Trust for two years.
I am happy to work with students from KS1 - KS4, and am currently available to provide sessions in person in your home, or online via Skype.
Tutoring is something that`s very important to me, as I love to help others learn and feel that a little extra help can sometimes be the difference between your child achieving their potential or not!
Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon! :)
Willing to travel: 5 miles
Experience: 2016-2019 Assistant Language Teacher, Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme:
· Facilitated communicative English language sessions in Tokyo private high school both as teaching assistant and lead teacher
· Created original resources and activities for classroom use, tailored to student interests, needs and ability levels
· Acted as a cultural ambassador in the wider school community, building relationships with students and staff
· Worked on a one-to-one basis with aspirational learners to prepare them to study abroad
· Actively participated in school life, supporting students at annual events such as the cultural and sports festivals
· Taught students between the ages of 3-18
2016-2019 Head Editor/Director of Online Publications AJET Connect Magazine:
· Progressed from Events Section Editor through Assistant Head Editor to Head Editor
· Oversaw a large creative team of volunteers based across Japan in the production and promotion of National AJETs monthly publication
· Interviewed and hired the 2018-2019 AJET Connect Magazine team
· Acted as final point of review and quality assurance for all article submissions
· Ensured smooth running of the team and timely publication of the monthly issue
· Maintained a supportive and friendly working culture
· Put in place procedures in anticipation of sickness, family emergencies, etc.
· Communicated effectively both within the Connect team and the Executive team at National AJET
2016-Present E-Tutor School of Leadership, Afghanistan (SOLA):
· Mentored students on an individual and paired basis catering to a broad range of target areas and ability levels
· Researched, prepared and delivered weekly online tuition sessions to reinforce SOLAs existing English programme and prepare students for life in the United States or the United Kingdom
· Developed supportive and empowering relationships with vulnerable learners, responding flexibly and rescheduling should local incidents affect tuition
· Assisted with applications for UK/US universities and scholarships
2014-2016 Primary and Secondary English Tutor Tutor Trust:
· Worked to further the Tutor Trusts aim of narrowing the attainment gap for students from disadvantaged backgrounds
· Planned and delivered face-to-face English sessions for learners with a diverse range of needs
· Forged strong and supportive relationships, allowing students to meet their full academic and personal potential
· Worked with looked after and otherwise vulnerable children, finding creative approaches to facilitate learning and foster students confidence
· Managed a busy schedule of school, college and home placements
Feedback For Lauren (2)
Lauren has being working with my daughter for four months now. All her lessons are planned in detail. When she chooses the material for a lesson Lauren considers the interests and opinion of my daughter, therefore my child works with passion and joy. During a lesson she creates unforced and working atmosphere. My daughter says that she feels more confident at the school and faster finds solutions at the lessons there.
Tutors Response :
Hi Maryna! Thanks so much for your lovely feedback! I`m glad Olesia has been enjoying our classes and reaping the benefits at school. She`s fantastic to teach and she`s put a lot of hard work in. I`m looking forward to helping her go even further in future! :)
I`m very pleased to have some comments for Ms Lauren, she has a very good knowledge/expeirence in her English tuition lessons with my kid. Ms Lauren is well prepared for each sessions, she is responsiveness, energetic and has a clear mindset how to plan the courses, my kid enjoyed his time very much when staying with her.