I am a highly motivated student of Science, and Mathematics in particular. I recently graduated with First Class Honours in MMath Mathematics (integrated masters) at the University of Leicester, and am currently working on a PhD between the university and a local hospital doing research with application to asthma control.
I would like to use my knowledge and experience in Mathematics to tutor GCSE and A-level maths students, as this is something I believe I am very effective at, having had success in the past teaching such topics. I hope to use this work in tutoring to support myself at university and in addition enrich my life experience.
On a final note, I also have extensive experience in programming and computing in general, given my college studies and taking topics in computer science at degree level. I offer to tutor other subjects (listed) as I have a wide range of capabilities, in part due to the general power that mathematical reasoning and study of logic has given me.
Availability: I am available to tutor in Derby, especially in Littleover, most days and times. In general I can offer online tutoring, and face-to-face tutoring will be limited to my local area. In any case I`m happy to receive inquiries and will try to reply promptly.
N.B. I may be moving to the US in late January, so face-to-face arrangements will be possible only up to this point.
Willing to travel: 8 miles
Experience: - volunteering at Beaumont Leys School in an after school tutoring scheme, where I tutored two students in preparation for their GCSE exams over several weeksContact this Tutor
- teaching placement at Beumont Leys School in which I spent three weeks going into the school to act as a teaching assistant / observer. A primary activity was taking groups of students (3-6) to go through higher level topics or revision with them. I also got the opportunity breifly to teach an entire class.
- home tuition for a family in Leicester, initially covering English with a son (at primary school), then general tuition (including Maths and Science) and A-level Maths with a daughter. Reference from this family may be available after purchasing my details (website would not allow before I don`t think).
- at least several months spent tutoring for 4 families simultaneously, and a couple of months teaching web dev. and programming at a tuition center (Oadby).
- teaching set theory, logic and functional programming (Haskell) over Skype (online tuition) for uni. student. Found screen sharing over Skype to be highly effective for tuition here, especially for programming / IT subjects. Payment handled simply with bank transfers.
- teaching advanced classes to students with learning difficulties (incl. autism).