I achieved a first class degree in physics from the University of Oxford, went on to study for a PhD in biological physics, and then spent three and a half years working as a postdoctoral research scientist in biochemistry. I am now a graduate-entry medical student at the University of Oxford, with plans of becoming a practising doctor, but I have no regrets about the path I have taken as I believe it makes me a more academically rounded person with good life experience.
I have a strong academic background in physics and maths, and in order to match this with the biological knowledge I needed for my PhD and postdoc, I therefore have had to invest a lot of my own time in studying outside a formal learning environment. I feel this has made me flexible and sympathetic in being able to adapt learning goals in collaboration with the individual student.
I am happy to consider students pursuing learning on a `non-traditional` or self-motivated route, as well as those who aim to achieve formal qualifications. I don`t believe in an upper age limit for setting yourself goals!
Availability: I am a full-time graduate medical student, with my contact time most typically during weekday office hours, so my availability tends to be limited to evenings and weekends.
Willing to travel: 5 miles
Experience: - Past and current tutoring clients include: GCSE maths and all three sciences (both separate science GCSEs and combined science qualifications); GCSE additional maths; A-level maths, physics, chemistry, biology; first year degree level physics; and quantitative methods in biochemistry a professional researcher.
- College tutor for the optics and electromagnetism paper, second year undergraduate physics (University of Oxford, 2014-2017)
- College tutor for the condensed matter physics paper, third year undergraduate physics (University of Oxford, 2015-2016)
- College tutor for the biological physics component of third year undergraduate physics (University of Oxford, 2011-present)
- Classwork marker/teaching assistant for fourth year undergraduate physics biological physics major option (University of Oxford, 2012-2015)
- Demonstrator in undergraduate teaching labs (University of Oxford, 2012-2015)
- Demonstrator in Doctoral Training Centre biological techniques teaching labs (University of Oxford, 2011-2013)
DBS (CRB) Check: YesContact this Tutor