First Class (2016)
The Lady Eleanor Holles School
The Lady Eleanor Holles School
The Lady Eleanor Holles School
Information about Rebecca
SUMMER SCHOOL: Need a bit of extra help to prepare for starting your GCSEs or A levels next year? Not sure you`ve quite understood everything in the first half of your course? I will be offering sessions throughout the summer. Ask me now about booking.
Qualified engineer with over 2 years experience tutoring both privately and within schools. I have successfully helped a large number of students improve their understanding and their grades in both Maths and Physics. I also have over 5 years experience working with and mentoring students, from ages 11-18, in STEM career and education programmes including: Engineering Education in Schools, Girls Who Code and after school STEM clubs. I have a good track record of preparing students to study degree courses in Engineering and other STEM subjects and have extensive knowledge on how to prepare a strong application to universities.
For Maths and Physics, I take an example led approach to tutoring, working with the student through example questions to aid understanding and identify any areas of improvement. In a first session, I will ask the student about their self identified strengths/weaknesses and go through a recent piece of work with them. From here, I will work with the student to create a plan of tuition that will cover all of their requirements and improve their overall subject level and exam performance.
My tutoring services include:
- Producing model solutions to questions that the student and I have worked on during the session
- Reviewing class work/practice work that the student has struggled with previously
- Marking and providing feedback on work carried out between sessions
- Working through past papers with students to identify areas in need of improvement
- Supplying a tailored pack of resources to help students improve weaker areas
For programming, again I like to take a more practical approach and will lead the student through their own project, learning coding concepts as they build.
My programming tutoring services include:
- Work with the student to come up with a suitable level project that is of interest to the student and will cover key coding concepts
- An explanation of software development tools and processes
- Detailed explanation of key coding concepts with examples
- Broken down tasks which build on the work from the session, progress the project and which the student can work on between sessions
Availability: Evenings and weekends. I am available for midweek daytime slots during most school holidays as well.
I am currently running all of my sessions online which I have found to be just as effective as face to face tutoring.
Willing to travel: Home Only
Experience: I have over 2 years of tutoring experience, both privately through various tutoring platforms, and in a school setting. I have been a STEM ambassador for over 4 years and have taken part in several STEM education programmes working with students from 11 to 18. I have also successfully mentored students through University applications to engineering degree programmes, and have a good understanding of the application system (including the Oxbridge system) from working on various STEM career initiatives.
I have, until recently, been a volunteer club leader for a coding club, helping students aged 11-16 to learn programming and create their own development projects in both Scratch, Python and Javascri pt. The club has been very successful, with each student finishing a project of their choice and requesting a new `programme of projects` as soon as it is safe to start meeting again.
- I currently work as a self-employed tutor using various platforms
- From 2018-2020 I worked as a Software Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover, designing and building in house software tools. I also found time for tutoring and mentoring students hoping to go into STEM careers in my free time.
- From 2016 - 2018 I worked as an aeronautical engineer at Jaguar Land Rover, improving the aerodynamics of various vehicle programmes through both simulation and physical testing. I was a very active STEM ambassador in my spare time, taking part in several education events.
- While studying from 2012 - 2016 I had internships with Jaguar Land Rover, working across various engineering departments. I also tutored Maths at a school local to my University.
- University of Durham (2012 - 2016) - First Class Honours in MEng General Engineering (Aeronautical). I received the top mark in my year for my research project and was asked to speak at the Universities `Rising Star Symposium`, at which I won both the `Bill Bryson Award for Communication in Science` and the `Audience Choice Award for Best Presentation`
- Jaguar Land Rover Sponsored Undergraduate Student (2014-2016)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Undergraduate Scholar (2012 - 2016)
- The Lady Eleanor Holles School (2005 - 2012):
~ 4 A levels: Maths A*, Further Maths A, Physics A*, Music A
~ AS Level English Literature A
~ AQA IB Qualification Distinction
~ EPQ Qualification Distinction
~ 10 GCES`s including an A* in Maths iGCSE and A* in Physics
Feedback For Rebecca (6)
Rebecca is helping my daughter with A Levels maths and were very happy we found her. My daughter really enjoys her lessons and has been able to catch up with college work.
My daughter is in Year 10 and needed some one-to-one support with her maths- something that is just not available in a school environment. We found Rebecca through the TH site and arranged a meeting and initial lesson. Rebeccas friendly approach ensured my daughter was on side and a willing participant from day one. Two months on my daughter is feeling much more confident about her maths - if she doesnt understand something at school she will work through it with Rebecca. I would have no hesitation in recommending Rebecca to parents looking for a tutor.
Always has lots of material for each topic and makes sure a topic is fully understood before continuing. Really friendly and patient. Highly recommend
She explains the subjects well and I think Im benefitting from my time with her.
Rebecca is an absolutely outstanding maths tutor! She explains difficult problems step by step, taking you through the easiest and most efficient methods every time. I have seen increasing progress in my problem-solving abilities week by week and continue to gain confidence as I tackle the the hardest problems. I definitely recommend Rebecca :)
Amazing and Friendly Maths Tutor! Rebecca is an amazing tutor, who has helped me so much in maths already despite having only taught me for a few lessons. She is willing to work on anything, is very helpful at explaining topics and has a very good understanding of maths. She is also wonderful, friendly tutor and I definitely recommend her to anyone who wants to do better in maths :)!