James (Tutor in Derbyshire)
Sheffield Hallam University
Secondary Education (Science)
University of Sheffield
Information about James
I am a specialist A-level chemistry teacher with a decade of experience teaching OCR and IB chemistry. Alongside this I have been a member of the OCR marking team for Y13 papers for the past 10 years, including 5 years as a team leader for various papers.
My other area of expertise is medical applications. I have helped dozens of students over the past 6 years to gain a place on medical, dentistry and veterinary degrees.
I am a key member of a chemistry department that has consistently performed above the national average on every single paper for several years. Our results are amongst the best in the East Midlands even when compared to selective and fee paying institutions.
My students sit both the Chemistry Olympiad and the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge each year, so I can help push you beyond the A-level specification.
As your tutor I will do the following;
- Set up an online folder for all your resources.
- Mark any work you have done.
- Provide instant support either via email or Slack.
- Give you expert tips on exam technique.
- Set weekly homework tasks to push you further than your school work.
- Produce tailored resources to target the areas you need to improve.
- If required I can offer support with the UCAS applications for medicine/veterinary/dentistry courses.
My only requirement is that you commit to working hard and getting stuck in.
Availability: 5pm onwards (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) - depends on location
4pm onwards (Wednesday)
All day Saturday
I cannot accept students from my own institution.
Willing to travel: 15 miles
Experience: - Masters degree in chemistry from Sheffield University
- PGCE from Sheffield Hallam University
- 10 years teaching exclusively A-level and international baccalaureate
- 5 years as course leader for international baccalaureate chemistry
- 7 years as an assistant examiner for OCR
- 4 years as a team leader for OCR
- 5 years as the medical applications coordinator at a large sixth form college