- PSC (Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi): Level 1 Grade A
- University of Warwick: MA in Applied Linguistics and ELT (Study & Methods)
- University of Nottingham: BA (Hons) in International Business Management with French
Information about Xuejiao
- Qualified IPA (International Profession Certification Association) Chinese Language Teacher, experienced English Teacher for second language learner and for testing purposes,with Master of Arts in English Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics from Warwick University
- PSC (Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi) Level 1 Grade A (2017) - PSC is an official test of spoken accuracy and fluency in Standard Mandarin for native speakers. Level 1-A (97% and above correct) is required for presenters in national and provincial radio and television. Level 1-B (92% correct) is required for Chinese-language teachers in northern China. Level 2-A (87% correct) is required for Chinese-language teachers in southern China. Level 3-B (60% correct) is required for civil service jobs
- Member of International Chinese Language Teachers Association (ICA)
- Native Chinese Mandarin speaker, educated in both China and UK
- Patient, enthusiastic, enjoy interaction with students from different background. Enjoy working with people with inquisitive minds.
- Interested in cooking Chinese food, and being trained as an aromatherapist:)
Availability: Depends on work schedule.
Willing to travel: 50 miles
Experience: - Qualified IPA Chinese Language Teacher, accredited by the International Profession Certification Association. This qualification is recognised by over 100 countries worldwide, including the UK, China, the United States and Canada etc.
- Professional conference interpreter (CN/EN) and translator
- 10 years` teaching experince with adults
- Business Mandarin and in-company training for professionals from law firms, investment banks, the big four and public service corporations etc.
- HSK Level 1-6 training for test takers
- HSKK Level Elementary - Advanced training for test takers
- Survival Mandarin for travellers
- GCSE Mandarin crash course & regular course
- Taught Mandarin to foreign professors in Nottingham University, China Campus 2006-2010
- Radio presenter for one of the children`s favourite programmes `The Flower with Seven Colours` in China, 2001
What my students say...
"I found the approach and methods used by Xuejiao to be both easy and effective. The content was likewise both useful and practical. Without realising it as it was happening, I learned not only the elements of pronunciation, but also vocabulary and grammar, and the rudiments of recognizing characters in my first lesson."
David Satola (Lead Counsel, World Bank, Washington DC)
"I was extremely impressed by the level of professionalism, commitment and dedication of Xuejiao. I was delighted not only by her expertise at teaching me Mandarin but also the strong cultural perspectives that they provided: basically, I also learned a great deal about Chinese history, culture and politics at the same time! I could not recommend Xuejiao more highly."
Jean-Michel Doublet (former Head of Corporate Finance, BNP Paribas, Americas)
"I came to my first lesson with no knowledge of Chinese and was really surprised and very impressed to find that after 45 minutes I had both enjoyed the time enormously and been effortlessly taught how to construct about 20 useful sentences."
Chris Watson (Former Partner, Allen & Overy)
"What a delightful experience. With no prior experience of Chinese and little or no ability, I found myself in a very brief period coming not only to understand but - astonishingly - being able to speak a number of practical phrases. I couldn`t believe how quickly and enjoyably the learning process unfolded. I thoroughly enjoyed it."
Simon Dorris (Managing Partner, Landsdowne Consulting)
"I am an editor working for global media company Platts and Xuejiao has been guiding me towards the HSK 4 exam for approximately two months. During that time, I have found her teaching methods to be effective, thorough and productive. Her knowledge of her subject is very apparent and her patience allied to perseverance and good humour have made the lessons fun, highly targeted and results driven. I have every confidence that Xuejiao will help me to deliver the performance that I need as a student of Mandarin to score well in my upcoming HSK 4 exams in June and more importantly prepare me for the possibility of working in China in a way that will allow me to demonstrate an effective working knowledge of the language. I would absolutely recommend her to other learners of Mandarin, be they students, businessmen or just keen followers of China."
M. O`Rourke, Central Editing Desk Editor
"Xuejiao has been teaching Mandarin Chinese to me and a class of mixed nationality students with no previous experience of the language. It has been a very pleasant experience that I have come to look forward to and will continue to the next level and probably further.
She is extremely patient and has a depth of understanding for the assistance and demonstration students need to comprehend the complexities and structure of the language. Her lessons are organised and administered to take you through the basic building blocks of Mandarin at each stage giving the student confidence to fully participate in all classroom activities.
Students are encouraged to interact with both teacher and the other students in the class without the fear of feeling embarrassment which I feel is one of her major advantages.I find Xuejiao has an inspirational approach to learning that is measured and very professional, I would strongly recommend her classes to all that seek to extend their communication skills in Mandarin."
P. Brooks, Global Account Manager at Datacenter Dynamics
"Thank you very much for a fantastic first lesson. As a result of just one short lesson with Xuejiao, I now know my "wo xihuan" from my "bu wo xihuan". A really great introduction to a fascinating and lovely language. I will be back for more!"
Jack Borrett (Group General Counsel, Babcock International)
"I specifically looked for a teacher who is able to help me with business mandarin, with a focus on accounting and tax. Xuejiao`s background in business management has been extremely useful here. Before some of our lessons I would send Xuejiao some business terms/sentences that I would like to learn. Xuejiao would then teach me how best to say these phrases in mandarin. I have found her translations accurate and appropriate as I have since sat in on mandarin seminars and I have found I have been able to understand the discussions. She enjoys teaching and her enthusiasm comes across in her lessons. She prepares well before each lesson and is willing to adapt her teaching to accommodate your requirements."
C. Yau, KPMG Tax Consultant - Private Client Advisory
"Xuejiao is an excellent and committed teacher, passionate about her subject and always keen to help students progress. Her lesson is focused, engaging and highly interactive, as well as being hugely enjoyable. She has a special talent for making a difficult subject digestible"
L. Layfield, Aviva Investors UK
Feedback For Xuejiao (3)
Xuejiao is amazing!
Her knowledge of Mandarin and English linguistics and extensive experience of teaching Mandarin is so helpful as she can explain sentence structure and grammar very clearly and ensure that your pronunciation is correct.
It makes a world of difference to have a professional tutor! Would highly recommend her!
Xuejiao is a great tutor - warm, friendly but also professional with well-organised teaching. Her lessons are thoroughly engaging and I have a lot of faith in her as a teacher.
Fan Fan was an excellent tutor: clear, helpful and fun. Sometimes a little late though (!)