I am a qualified high school teacher with 18 years` experience of teaching English, Media Communication, Drama and Study Skills to 11-19 year olds. I have held the posts of Head of Drama, Director of Creative Arts and I have led teaching and learning across a range of senior leadership roles, including Principal. I previously worked for the BBC and was awarded a BAFTA for my role in a TV documentary series. I am educated to Masters degree level and hold a 2:1 Bachelor of Arts degree in Digital Media, Politics and Performing Arts. Prior to entering the teaching profession, I gained industry experience in marketing with Lego UK Ltd. I live in Wrexham, North Wales with my young family and I count playing guitar, filmmaking, photography, cricket and graphic design as my main interests.
My experience as a classroom teacher and school leader has developed my expertise in a range of educational strategies, including: personalising learning; active engagement; cooperative learning; maximising achievement; leadership and innovation
Testimonials can be read at my company`s website: The-Learning-Collective
My approach to tutoring is characterised by the following commitments I make to every learner I work with:
- I will place all learners firmly at the centre of the learning experience
- I will lead all learners towards understanding how they learn best and be mindful that academic success is underpinned by aspiration, healthy levels of self-belief, stress management, courage, organisational ability, resilience, creativity and motivation.
- I will hold the highest expectations of all learners and craft memorable learning activities that will encourage a love of learning
- I understand that behind every set of examination results, irrespective of the scores, must stand a person who is equipped, personally, socially and culturally, to prosper in the 21st Century. For this reason, academic tutoring/coaching will always focus on personal as well as academic development.
Availability: Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm
Willing to travel: 10 miles
Experience: My expertise has been developed through 18 years experience of teaching English, Media Communication, Drama and Study Skills to 11-19 year olds, and leading whole-school portfolios in teaching and learning, assessment, staff development and curriculum. Embracing the challenge of leading a school in difficult circumstances, I led a dynamic and vibrant community committed to achieving success for all learners, raising aspirations and learning together in a supportive and orderly environment. My overarching leadership secured sustainable improvements in the quality of teaching which, in turn, led to significantly improved outcomes for students which saw the academy move from `Special Measures` to a `good` Ofsted judgement. I have a proven track record of leading students and staff to significantly improved outcomes. Contact this Tutor
- University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Post Graduate Certificate in Secondary Drama, October 1997 - August 1998
- De Montfort University, Leicester, BA Combined Honours in Digital Media, Politics and Performing Arts (2:1), October 1992 - June 1995
- University of Bradford, Diploma in `Electronic Media`, October 1991 - June 1992
- Yale Sixth Form College, Wrexham, September 1989 - August 1991, A-levels in Theatre Studies (A) and Politics & Government (B) and English (C)
- St. David`s High School, Wrexham, September 1984 - August 1989, 10 GCSEs, grade A-C, including Maths and English
- Co-Director of The Learning Collective Group Ltd. (January 2016 - present)
- Principal, March 2011 - December 2015
- Vice Principal, September 2010 - February 2011
- Senior Assistant Principal (Teaching, Learning and Staff Development), September 2008 - August 2010
- Assistant Principal (Teaching and Learning, Assessment, Reporting and Recording), January 2006 - August 2008
- Director of Creative Arts, January 2006 - August 2008
- Head of Drama, September 2000 - December 2005
- Teacher of Drama and English, September 1998 - August 1999