Phoebe (Tutor in Avon)
Phoebe has disabled his/her profile. You can not contact this Tutor at this time.
Bath Spa University
The University of Warwick
Information about Phoebe
Friendly and easy-going tutor, graduated from Warwick University and Bath Spa university with a BSs and a MA, experienced volunteer teacher, summer school activity leader, providing lessons in Maths, Economics, and Physics up to A-level standards.
About myself: I am a cheerful and enthusiastic person who really enjoys working with children and young learners. I have done a wide range of jobs related to education and teaching, including voluntary teaching, tutoring, and leading activities at summer camps for the past ten years. I have also been very fortunate to get various opportunities to teach and work with learners in Europe, Asia and Africa. From an Economics and Management background, I have decided to pursuit teaching as a profession and I hope to be qualified to teach Maths at a secondary school to English speakers in the future.
About me as a tutor: I consider myself to be a serious and committed tutor, I plan every single lesson very carefully and adapt my speed quickly according to the ability of each tutee.
My teaching method:
- First, explain every concept clearly, using examples, case studies, even illustration and means of media. As a creative person, I always tend to come up with different interesting ways to deliver my lessons.
- After that provide students with practice exercises and questions in ascending level of difficulty. The first few problems are the easier ones to help students become familiar with the new concepts, and the harder ones come later if to deepen their understanding, enabling them to be really sure and confident about what they have learnt.
- I do have some creative ways to explain complicated concepts in really simple language, sometimes with a bit of humour.
It is my great pleasure to see my students make improvements, so I always take on responsibilities and try to help them will all my best.
Availability: Currently available all the time!
Willing to travel: 3 miles
Experience: - I started tutoring at age 16 when someone in the neighbourhood asked me to tutor her son in English language.
- I had worked in various English summer schools both in Vietnam and in the UK.
- In summer 2012, I was an activity leader at the Devon School of English in Taunton, Somerset, where I led activities such as sports and excursions, organised classes in various subjects from Arts and Crafts to Maths for international students coming to England to study English. Motivating students to learn and take part in activities was also one of my main tasks and is what I am really good at.
- I took an optional academic module in my final year at Warwick University called Introduction to Secondary teaching, in which I underwent classroom training in secondary Maths teaching, and afterward was sent to do a 10-day placement at Finham Park Secondary School near Canley, Coventry.
- In summer 2015, I was sent on a fully funded trip to Tanzania as a representative of my University to teach Maths to secondary students.
- I spent a gap year in Vietnam for a year between 2015 and 2016, during which I ran a few English language tutoring classes at my house, besides working at an English centre.
- From late 2016 to early 2018 I was back in the UK and continued to provide lessons to UK-based students, both offline and online.
- From late 2017 to early 2018 I had spent numerous occasions in UK secondary Maths and Science classrooms to gain insights on becoming a Maths teacher in the UK.
- I spent 3 months working at an international nursery school and 1 year working as a full-time classroom English language teacher in a bi-lingual school in Vietnam.
- I am now back to the UK, based in Bristol but actively looking for a permanent teaching job in the UK.
Feedback For Phoebe (0)
I booked a session with this Tutor, and she failed to turn up. I lost good money booking the session, with no tuition at the end of it and no communication from the Tutor. How unprofessional.
Tutors Response :
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you have lost good money in booking the lesson. As explained in a private message, due to the fact that I am living in a different timezone, I couldn`t check my notification emails in time to be informed of the booked lesson. I had made a suggestion to meet later on that day for our first tutorial, however before I had to go away for other businesses, I had yet been informed that you have purchased my contact details and made the bookings. Thank you very much for getting ahead and had them all done in one go, but please kindly be understanding that it would be very difficult for me to keep up, especially when I am living abroad and almost fully booked all the time. Usually a new student would purchase my details a few days before the first meeting so I have a certain slot booked to clear my schedule.
Once again I am very sorry for your disappointment.
My daughter really enjoys her lessons with Pheobe because she explains things clearly, listens to what areas are causing the most problems and then breaks it down in to bite size pieces my daughter can work on. She`s also really friendly which makes my daughter feel relaxed and less like it just `more school` in her free time.